Ir al contenido principal

Beauty Mark

I didn’t feel anything. His sharp knife cut my skin easily, and the adrenaline rushed through my body, helping me to avoid the pain. My brain was too busy to think. My whole body was in survival mode. On a Wednesday morning, of 2007, I gained a particular beauty mark.

That particular Wednesday started like any other day. I woke up and went to work. While I was working, I realized that some of the double size prints weren’t ready. We needed to pack them for the show, so I had to take care of that. Around 10 am I walked out of the office, and down the street thinking I would enjoy a little walk before taking a taxi that would take me to the printer place.

I noticed the young man passing by on the motorcycle as I started to walk down the street. He didn’t look dangerous to me, so when I saw him a half street later pulling over and walking toward me, I may have thought that he was lost, but he wasn’t. “Give me your purse or I’ll cut you,” he said in a threatening tone.

He was showing me something in his hand and getting closer and closer. I looked down, trying to figure out what he was holding while grabbing my purse. “ Ok,” I said, “But let me take out my ID”. He got closer threatening me this time with “Give me your purse or I’ll kill you.” My heartbeat rushed while my mouth yelled “No!”. We started to fight. I can see me attacking him, or maybe defending me from his attacks. I may have been feeling invincible. After a while, he was running away on his motorcycle. There I was, in the middle of the street, with my heartbeat on my head, breathing frantically, yet still holding my purse.

Two men in a car stopped in front of me. They asked me what had just happened, and offered their help. It is then when I felted it, my arm was soaking wet. I looked down at my left arm, it was all red, covered in blood. My heartbeat stopped and the adrenaline despaired. I started to cry. Meanwhile, the two men put me in their car and drove me to the hospital.

Sitting in the front seat of two strangers' car, bleeding, I saw my life pass in front of my eyes. “What was I thinking?, Am I going to die?, From where is all this blood coming?” questions like that played on my brain during the longest car ride ever. They dropped me off at the hospital and disappeared. I never saw them again.

At 5pm I walked out of the emergency room. A piece of bandage covered 13 stitches, while a sling held my arm. I got 20 days of medical license and a 5 inches scar, a beauty mark, that reminds me how unexpected life can be.

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

The hurt ego of a dyslexic

Warning: this post most likely will have more than one spelling and grammar mistake The last 3 years living in the US has brought many challenges and changes to my life (or are life?). I lived for around 25 years with bad spelling without care. Family members, classmates, coworkers, and acquaintances did make fun of me from time to time, and the middle school spelling contests are still part of my nightmares. However, my bad spelling never stooped my academic and professional achievements nor affected my daily life, until 2009. I moved to the USA in 2009, before that I never felt the need to tell every single person that my spelling was poor even though my spoken English is pretty good. I didn't have to tell anyone that I am dyslexic, in fact, some of my friends maybe don't even know that or that growing up I spent almost two afternoons per week on therapy for my dyslectic dysgraphia.   When I was a kid in therapy I used to play many, many memory games. The therapis...

The outdoor magic

I love my beautiful Colombia. I'm 100% proud of said: I'm Colombian and that Colombia is a great country, with lots of faces, both good and bad. All the goods and bads make the country a special place, a place really enjoyable for live, love and play, so don't get me wrong with this but: Live in USA rocks! Yes, I said it: Life in USA Rocks! but not for any of the reasons that a lot of people have the "American Dream", in fact often I realize that life here can be even harder than in Colombia, a "3rd wold country". I'm not saying the USA rocks because of the malls, the clean streets, the feeling of safety, or the Calvin Klein outlets. I'm saying it rocks for how easy it is camping and scape to nature; how easy it is enjoying the outdoor magic! I was a boys scout ( in Colombia it is unisex), so I can say the I knew what camping was, and thanks to my family, I was able to enjoy the countryside often, I even have a funny story about the last ti...

Ghost friends

When I was a single woman if after a couple of dates with a guy he started to not call me, nor to appear on the weekends, we were over. No more dating and not even care about that boy anymore. I'll take him out of the key chain! and eventually move on. I'll still talk with him from time to time, but I'll no care.  Now, What to do with a ghost friend? the type of friend that is never around, and when is around is because is "connivance" for him. That friend you feel you can not ask for anything because you never know what to expect. That friend that just call you when is single again. Can you say then that those types of friends don't show interest in you?; therefore should you brake up with then and move on?  In general, we have this idea of friends are unconditional, and we don't have to be around each other in order to be a good friend. It is also common to think that you have different types of friends; for example, some friends are your confidants, o...