Ir al contenido principal

Bring me Some Damn Goodies


   My phone rang several times before I finally found it at the bottom of my purse. “Where are you?” Santiago, my youngest brother, asked. “I’m at Esteban’s having dinner with friends, Why?.”  He calmly said “ Come home”, and without further explanation hung up the phone. It was odd to me that my brother was calling me on a Friday night inquiring about my location, but wasn’t odd enough to make me rush out of the door of my friend's house. My phone rang again “Are you on your way? Come home NOW and bring Esteban with you.”  It was then when I knew it. Something was going on, something was wrong. On December 22nd, 2006 something was about to change in my family, and I had to be there with them.
  
 My friend’s house is upon one of the many hills of Medellin. The drive from his house to my parent’s house usually takes 15 minutes without traffic. The road is wide and curved and offers great views of the valley that make up most of the city. I used to enjoy that drive, but that night, it was less pleasant and longer than ever. Esteban offered to drive, which was good because I was too anxious with racing ideas on why it was necessary to bring him, a lawyer, to my house. Why had my brother called me? Was someone into legal problems? If so, what or why?.“ I’m sure there is nothing bad” Esteban said trying to calm me down.

    My parent’s house is a big ranch-style house on a quiet hill. There is a driveway to the garage door, which is connected through five stairs directly to the bedroom’s hall and the rest of the house. Pushing the remote control, Esteban opened the garage door and parked the car in the garage while I jumped out and rushed inside the house, entering the bedroom hall, which is wide and open space. There was a big old desk against the wall where the computer sat. Santiago was sitting at the desk chair while my mom was standing against the opposite wall, crying. “Did something happens to our dad? Or Agustin?” I asked. The silence was heavy as a rock. I heard Agustin, my older brother, crying and cursing in the distance. Something was happening, something was terribly wrong “ WHAT HAPPENED!?” I asked again, this time with fear and a shaking voice. “Maritza”, my mom murmured between sobs. “Julie, Maritza is dead” Santiago finally said, in his calm and unique voice. 
  
 The ground moved around my feet and I felt how the earth was swallowing me.  Everything started to turn around, fast, faster than a tornado, in which I was at the quiet center seeing all was happening to someone else. She had just called that morning from Peru. I had just talked to her that day. She was happy. I was just getting back home after living in Israel for six months. The family was complete again.  She had just sung happy- birthday to me two days before. I had just driven her to the bus station and asked her to bring me some damn goodies.  This was a joke. It was a really bad joke. “Liar!” I said to Santiago, even though I knew it was the truth. I started to cry. I hugged my mom, and we cried more. My dad arrived minutes later and started to talk with Santiago and Esteban about making the arrangements. Her body was in Peru. We had to bring her home. Soon after, extended family and friends arrived quickly to our home to offer company and comfort. Bad news always runs like the wind.
   
 We sent Santiago with a cousin the next day to Peru to take care of the arrangements and bring her body back. It took a lot of press, time and money to finally finished the arrangements and had her back.  Almost a week later after her death, we finally have a funeral.
  
 A combination of food poison and lack of medical attention took Maritza’s life away. She was 33 years old. The smart, brave, energetic persona with magnetic charm, the oldest child of the Maya's, had vanished. My oldest sister was dead. She was the only sister I knew, who is 8 years older than me was my best friend.  I loved and adored her. I still do.





Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Taza o pocillo

El pocillo o taza es de cerámica pesada, de esas que se hacen con la arcilla se quema por horas o hasta días. Usando el método de medición imperial, ósea el gringo pues ellos se rehusan a el sistema métrico como el resto del mundo, mide un poco más de 3 pulgadas de alto. Mis pulgas por supuesto. Y como no tengo un metro o regla a la mano, diré que es igual de grande que la palma de mi mano, aunque eso y lo de las pulgadas no dice mucho, pues ustedes no saben cuanto mide mi mano. y para que se hagan una idea, es solo un poco más alto que la mitad de un teléfono celular. En fin, conocer su altura al dedillo no es tan importante.    Tiene forma de cilindro con base redonda un poco más pequeña que el resto. El grosor de la misma es al contra un poco más grueso que los laterales. Me imagino que los diseñaron así para evitar que calentar mucho más de lo necesario las superficies donde se posa. Su base es lisa, plana, y se diferencia del resto al tener una textura como porosa y ser de tonalid

Pintar como una tía.

Enero es el mes que me parece más eterno de todo el año. Esa espera entre las fiestas de fin de año y las obligaciones laborales o académicas que se anhelan de regreso de alguna forma, aprendemos a amar la piedra en el zapato, y que se ven con terror acercarse. En esa clase de enero me encuentro y he decidido que mataré su parsimonia con arte. A diario estaré haciendo algo, bien sea un dibujo rápido o inclusive rayas y círculos. La idea es no dejar los huesos y ojos descansar mucho rato, que de por sí ya llevan un buen tiempo descansando. Ayer comencé una pintura que tenía en la lista de cosas por hacer que aunque disfruté mucho haciéndola por un par de horas, tan pronto como me aleje para descansar y respirarla me gritó ¡ERROR! , por todas partes. Y es que todo estaba mal. No era un mal trabajo, pero sí una mala obra, una mala pintura. Andaba lo que me atrevo a llamar - y lo digo con todo el amor - pintando como una tía. La mala pintura de una foto muy hermosa de mi hijo con un som

PARTO:NO SON 9 MESES

PARTO: no son 9 meses ​ El comienzo de nuestra historia comienza el día que nacemos, por eso la historia de cómo nuestras madres el día que nos dio a luz  es tan importante para contar nuestra historia, pero ¿cuántos sabemos cómo fue ese día y proceso para ellas? ​ Parto: no son 9 meses  es una acción del performance resultado de una investigación sobre las experiencias de varias mujeres madres de mi entorno y de mi propia experiencia.  ​ ​ ¿Te interesa contarme tu historia? Encuesta ​